Monaco princess Charlene in ‘indefinite’ hospitalisation

Charlene has been hospitalised twice recently, including a four-day stay in June for stress

Monaco’s Princess Charlene, one of Europe’s most beautiful women and a former Olympic swimmer, is undergoing “indefinite inpatient treatment” at a hospital in Monaco, her office said on Monday.

Monaco said in a statement on Monday the 35-year-old princess had been hospitalised twice recently – the most recent being on 7 June. The palace did not give details on what had prompted the weeklong hospital stay.

Charlene last month had to be helped off a boat by her husband, Prince Albert, who was crowned monarch of the tiny Mediterranean principality in 2011. The palace did not immediately explain the source of the distress, but Reuters reported at the time that it came from the couple’s “earlier high-profile role as head of state”.

Monaco’s royal family is changing rapidly – a royal baptism and wedding in the next five weeks Read more

Charlene, whose husband retired as a swimming champion in 2010, married Albert in 2011, becoming the first divorcee to rule over Monaco.

Reuters and the Associated Press contributed to this report

Leave a Comment