Two women, two victims arrested for human trafficking in Toronto

First, there was the fentanyl-laced ice cream.

Now, two women and two other victims are seeking justice, after a man they allege were forced into prostitution for years.

On Tuesday, Toronto police said they have arrested 48-year-old Mark Davey of Toronto on charges of human trafficking, procuring, sexual assault, common assault, forcible confinement, theft over $5,000 and failing to comply with probation.

Police said Davey promised the women – a 26-year-old, a 33-year-old and a 47-year-old – that working in his S&M business would not be a part of the sex trade. But when they arrived to work for him, they were allegedly forced to have sex with other clients under the threat of assault and forced to share rooms and share the profits of the sex trade.

They told police they had to sleep with multiple clients a day, all over town, at nights, in parks and around train stations. Davey also allegedly forced them to pay for their own hotels, rent, clothing and private rooms. Davey allegedly would ask for volunteers to sell sex and drive prostitutes, according to police.

In July, Toronto police launched an investigation after a 52-year-old woman approached police on concerns about human trafficking.

The Canadian national said she had lived in the same Toronto apartment for about three years and was forced to prostitute herself, police said. Davey claimed he was just trying to help her and that, upon discovering she was in prostitution, she became aggressive and yelled at him.

The woman told police that Davey used violence to punish her when she was convicted of attempted prostitution, including choking her for days. She also said he physically abused her for refusing to have sex with clients. She said she was also kicked by a man in a high-end club while trying to walk out of a night club.

On Monday, Toronto police did not immediately return a request for comment.

Because the victim lived in the Toronto apartment and was not working in the sex trade on the street, Toronto police issued a warning to residents in the area and issued a media release asking for help to identify the possible second victim.

On Tuesday, Toronto police said they believe they have identified the second victim.

“Toronto Police Service Victim Services has been operating in the Toronto area for over 25 years, and that victim services personnel have begun working on this case and are beginning the initial identification of the victim,” Toronto police said in a statement.

Toronto police then announced that Davey had been arrested, and on Wednesday, police said the 28-year-old and 32-year-old women had reunited with their families after speaking with Toronto police.

Toronto police have yet to release a booking photo.

“We will go to the ends of the earth to protect vulnerable victims of these crimes,” said Detective Constable Alain Bertrand, the detective leading the investigation, in a statement. “We remain committed to finding the second victim and charging this individual with human trafficking offences.”

Leave a Comment